Sunday 10 May 2015

I would never have said...

... I would never have said ten weeks ago that I would actually start enjoying this process, but, here I am actually looking forward to running Comrades. Here's why...

1) I can now run further than 15 miles before feeling like I've never run before.

2) I really enjoyed Manchester Marathon.

3) I followed Manchester up with a 20 miler four days later.

4) The week after that I ran 30 miles, my longest ever run and could still run the next day.

5) This week I was struck by a nasty sickness bug which floored me but today me and three mates skipped off into the hills and 'ran' the 3 Peaks.




All of these things I could never have imagined enjoying when the going was really tough in the early weeks. I still believe that entering Comrades was a ridiculous thing to do and it wasn't right with the circumstances of how busy our family unit is BUT now that I'm lighter, fitter and enjoying the process I can really say that I'm really glad I persevered. Whatever the outcome of Comrades (hey, it's no 'gimmee' that I'm going to be able to cope with the heat and run another 26 miles further than I ever have) but I'm fitter and happier for being fitter.

Running is still very much a way of getting 'me' time where I can throw my own food and drink over myself while I'm running instead of the kids doing it for me at home. The thing about kids is that they don't give a damn how far I've run when I've returned and the second I walk through the door it's full on 'Mummy Mode'. How nice will Comrades be when not only will the flight be child free but my nights sleep will be free from the kids many interruptions and after Comrades I don't have to be a 'Mummy' again until we get back to the UK!

Game on I say! One more long run to do and then I can do no more.

H x

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant. You've done amazingly well to build up those long runs so quickly. I'm glad the mojo train is running smoothly with its passengers enjoying the view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lots! It's been a hard road but I'm better for it :)

      Delete
  2. Great news - really enjoying following your journey. Have you entered MDS 2016 yet?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha...eeeeek! Wash your mouth out with soap ;) Must. Remember. I. Hate. Sand!!!

      Delete
  3. 'Forced' to watch eurovision last night... Went for a run this morning to feel human... Sat down to eat my breakfast to read your next installment...and there isn't one! ETA on the next post please. There has to be at least one more pre-comrades blog post, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete